Sigma builds new County maintenance facility
washington county, wisconsin
The Washington County Highway Department completed the construction of a new vehicle maintenance facility as a replacement for the obsolete highway shop. Sigma served as the County’s consulting engineer to plan and oversee the demolition of this old highway shop and restoration of the site as a 200-vehicle lighted parking lot for the adjoining Courthouse and County Administration Complex.
Services provided by Sigma include:
- Conducted a hazardous materials survey for lead-based paints, UST / ASTs, oil, refrigerants and PCBs including stained concrete analysis.
- Performed NESHAP compliant pre-demolition asbestos inspection of the highway shop facility including the boiler room, stack, and vehicle maintenance areas.
- Developed a conceptual demolition plan for presentation to County officials.
- Prepared cost opinions for demolition and abatement.
- Prepared contract documents using CSI format.
- Coordinated bid review and contractor selection.
- Oversaw abatement activities involving air clearance monitoring, waste management testing and observation of contractors waste practices.
- Provided project oversight during the abatement and demolition including bi-weekly project meetings, meeting minutes, change order processing, pay application review, final inspection and project close-out documentation.
- Investigated the extent of contaminated soil.
- Developed soil management plan under a restricted use agreement with the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources.